Ministry of Construction and Physical Planning

Building guide

If you own land or an existing building, you should first check whether and what kind of construction or reconstruction is allowed. The first step you need to do is to check the purpose of the plot in the spatial plan of your municipality or city. The representative body of the local government, municipal council or city council adopts a spatial plan after a public debate has been carried out. Contact the competent office for construction and physical planning in your area for more information about what in a particular area is allowed to be built, and what is not allowed, that is, which permits need to be obtained.

If you want to get written information from the spatial plan on the planned land use and requirements for project implementation for specific land, you have to submitt an application to the competent office requesting issuing of location information. The application shall include an excerpt from the cadastral plan, or a copy thereof.

Spatial plans can be viewed in the Physical planning information system
Evidence of legal interest
Main design development
Location permit
Building permit
Notification of the commencement of construction, setting-out and marking of the construction site
Period for completion of buildings
Energy certificate
Use permit
Registration of construction works in the cadastre
Registration of construction works in the land registry
Maintenance of the construction work
Removal of construction works
Notification of illegal construction
Legalisation of illegally built construction works – deadline for application submission is 30 June 2018
Procjena utjecaja na okoliš